Wednesday 8 October 2008

Amazon #20: Short Circuit: Practical New Approach to Building More Self-Reliant Communities

3 stars - link

I bought this book thinking that it was the long awaited third episode in the Short Circuit series - so far, we've been confined to experiencing Johnny Five's adventures in only 2 films, and I was desperate to find out what happened next to the newly gold plated civilised war robot.

Well, what a disappointment - Richard Douthwaite should never have been allowed to take on the franchise, as he has a fundamental misunderstanding of what made the series so popular in the first place, with vast passages being beyond incomprehensible to the under-9s - and Johnny Five barely appears at all! There no appearances from the characters played by Steve Guttenberg, Ally Sheedy, or Fisher Stevens' rather dodgily portrayed Pakistani character. I think Michael McKean's character appears in the chapter about windfarms, though I may be mistaken as I was also watching Deal or No Deal at the time.

I hold extreme optimism for most forms of entertainment, but I truly think this book is unfilmable - at the very least, it needs extensive rewrites if it is to be an acceptable third entry in the series. What were they thinking?!?

However, I award the book three stars as the segment on Scandinavian communes was informative, and slightly arousing.

No comments: