Tuesday 24 June 2008

My case for why Wild by the Butterflies of Love is the best guitar pop song ever written.

I will keep this brief, I will simply list all the elements of why this is so so so great, and ticks every single box for what makes a great indie-pop* song. Just listen to it and agree with me.

The Butterflies of Love - Wild (MP3)


  • Reverb and tremolo soaked guitar that sounds like it was recorded in a warehouse? Check.
  • Dreamy ooh-aah backing vocals? Check.
  • The imperfect yet so-so-so right lead vocal that sounds like a Neil Young imitation? Check.
  • Lyrics vaguely dealing with love, but really you have no idea what he means? Check.
  • A maximum cap of 4 chords in the whole song? Check.
  • A swirling organ sound that sounds like it was recorded in an even bigger warehouse? Check.
  • A slight breakdown in the middle, where nothing seems too different but when it kicks back in you KNOW that this song will be with you forever? Check.
  • A bizarre, somehow inappropriate but yet totally fitting synth noise coming from nowhere and then immediately vanishing a few seconds after it begun? Check.
  • The closing guitar and drum noise at the very end, that spells out "hey, we're in a band, we're in a room, so let's prove it"? Check.
I could listen to this song all day - I believe it to be perfect. It's catchy without being irritating, memorable without being cliched, it's just so..... right.


*I'm sorry for using that genre name. I'm no music journalist, and I don't work in Zavvi, so I have no need for genre names usually. Just bear with me on this...

No comments: