Monday 28 December 2009

Amazon #33: The 12 reviews of Christmas, part 4.

5 stars - link

I bought this CD for my wife last year, as part of a grand scheme to recreate the 12 days of Christmas - this CD was supposed to represent the Four Calling Birds. This didn't go down too well, as my wife doesn't suffer fools gladly, and also has an IQ in triple figures (I know, we're not well matched).

I have to say, if the original Christmas song featured the line 'Four Wailing Bints' then it would be much nearer the mark. However, to quote alt-indie poetmeister DC Berman, 'all my favourite singers couldn't sing', so I'm actually well disposed to this slice of 90s disposable culture. Their version of Under the Bridge far surpasses the awful original, and their massive single 'Pure Shores' gave some much needed credibility to that dreadful film 'The Beach' (along with the casting of Paterson Joseph). It's a shame they're no longer together, but I'm still holding out hope for another reunion when they need some cash.

Anyway, in case your wondering I seriously had to grovel for my wife to take me back - happily, day five's book of Olympian heroes more than fixed things, until the leaping peers turned up.

Five stars - best record of the Naughties (Scottish pronunciation).

No comments: